This programme was purposely designed to be a real-life cultural experience. Becoming a global citizen and change maker for the future world does not happen overnight. It’s inspirational, thought-provoking, and challenging. The exciting mix of theoretical and hands-on learning blended with real-world cultural experiences offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The programme is taught at three universities in three different European cities. Welcome!
Leading People and Cultures in Organisations
Are you ready for the future of hospitality work? People and culture are crucial in establishing a true sustainable competitive advantage. At the dawn of a 4th Industrial Revolution, in a digital society, and with a depleted labour market, it is crucial to focus on commitment, engagement, and job satisfaction of employees.
- Understanding the strategic role that of HRM, and how to organize and structure this.
- Exploring the challenging dynamics within organizations and teams.
- Becoming familiar with various leadership perspectives in hospitality and their vital role.
Coordinator: Dr Tom Kuypers
People as Consumers
Every behaviour that we engage in starts with a decision. Understanding the psychological processes that play a role in this decision making process is thus crucial for understanding why people behave in a specific way. As such, in this module we take a deep dive into the psychology of human decision making and will help you to predict and shape (desired) behaviour.
- Gaining in-depth knowledge in relevant theories and concepts in consumer psychology and decision making.
- Predict how certain (marketing) tactics influence consumer decision making.
- Design professional products/services and communication based on consumer psychology and decision making theory.
Coordinator: Dr Kimberley van der Heijden
Hospitality Innovation Consultancy Project Part I: Discover & Define
Approach business opportunities and problems in an innovative way. Based on the Design Thinking method you will co-create a solution with the client and stakeholders throughout the programme. Doing so will develop your flexibility in thinking and looking at issues from different perspectives.
- Figuring out how to apply empathising research methods and visualisation techniques.
- Working with a broad spectrum of qualitative research techniques.
- Realising methodological rigor is important to ensure a relevant outcome for the client.
Are you ready to integrate experiences with the academic? We will throw the academic excellence in the mix with a variety of hospitality industry experiences, key industry figures, group assessments, industry visits, presentations, class debates, and learning practice through workshops. A dynamic and interactive combination to enjoy and visualise Hospitality Futures!
- Expanding your knowledge of current trends in the global hospitality sector and trend analysis.
- Understanding of organisational agility and lean management.
- Managing performance by means of different models and tools.
Coordinator: Dr Detta Melia
Transformational Innovation in Practice
You will be challenged to step outside of your comfort zone to do some transformative and radical thinking. Based on Design Thinking you will build innovative and creative capabilities to create and implement innovations. And, as an exciting experience, your ideas might enter international hospitality innovation competitions.
- Understanding a variety of forms of innovation, creativity, ideation, and problem-solving.
- Approaching innovation from both a conceptual and a practical angle.
- Experiencing and auditing innovation as implemented by key hospitality industry players.
Coordinator: Mary O'Rawe
Hospitality Innovation Consultancy Project Part II: Develop & Deliver
This is the point where you really begin your innovation journey! You will be working for real clients and apply your experiences from phase 1 in a very practical way. You will also develop your own solution ideas and put them to the test as you learn how to prototype your idea and confidently demonstrate your consulting skills to cultivate the relationship with your client.
- Experiencing a range of consultancy in-practice skills and coaching as part of client interactions.
- Exploring areas for improvement or innovation by means of prototyping.
- Developing creativity and ideation skills linked to innovation and leadership.
Coordinator: Colin O'Connor
Experience Design and Implementation
More and more industries are using customer-centric strategies and focusing their efforts on delivering innovative and authentic experiences for their customers. Hospitality is driven by customer expectations so the only way to lead in this sophisticated, competitive industry is by fully understanding the customer experience.
- Using assessment tools like storyboards, open innovation, and the generation of value.
- Developing user diaries and observation sheets to record insights into behavioural patterns.
- Improving your solutions through positive and negative scenarios and user-groups reactions.
- Prioritizing solutions and developing a desktop walkthrough to create a customer experience.
Coordinator: Dr Gilda Hernandez-Maskivker
The 4th Industrial Revolution: Techniques in Hospitality
The digital transformation in the hospitality industry has been undeniably revolutionary – and a transformation that is constantly shifting and evolving To extend your understanding of this, you will be involved in a review of how all technology set tourism in a new context: the emergence of disruptive technologies that reshape consumer experiences, workplace dynamics and the way businesses develop.
- Becoming familiar with concepts like AI, AR, Big Data and Internet of Things.
- Exploring how technology boosts innovation and learning the fundamentals.
- Knowing what is required to design, develop, and deploy an experience in a culturally mixed environment.
Coordinator: Dr Albert Fornells Herrera
Hospitality Innovation Consultancy Project Part III: Validate & Implement
This is the stage where you will begin testing your project - the final stage of the Design Thinking process. Presenting your prototype to an audience of real users is naturally both exciting and challenging. But ultimately it will be very fulfilling and rewarding to experience presenting your final product to your client: the business and implementation plan.
- Understanding implementation as the culmination of a strategic solution to an industry problem.
- Developing quantitative research, data collection and analysis.
- Writing academically sound and well-researched plans and presenting your ideas convincingly.
Coordinator: Dr Ricard Santomà
The MSc Leading Hospitality Innovation is a modern design thinking focused programme built for shaping the future of Hospitality. If you can picture being part of this future, this programme is designed to give you the tools, knowledge and cultural experience to guide you there.